Monday, August 3, 2015

Python Testing Cookbook review

I had high hopes for this book.  It is well written and I very much appreciate the detail and dedication that went into it. I am only 4 chapters in, but I already have to say that this book was great for 3-4 years ago.  The tools have improved so much since then that it needs a major rework.  The biggest change: Down with doctest, up with ipython notebooks. I dislike the use of getopt and avoiding the initial configure of setup.py to allow python setup.py test is a bummer.  I think a full mini project would be a better focus for a book like this.  An now we have awesome and easy to use continuous integration (CI) tools like Travis-CI.  It no longer matters if your full tests take 15 minutes to run.  They always get run.

I am definitely learning from this book, but I have to do a lot of modifications of methods to apply them to my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment